Thursday, July 19, 2012

Happy Conception Day!

1 year ago today, Cameron and I completed our IVF cycle. We wouldn't find out we were pregnant for a couple more weeks, but this was the beginning of Nash and Gray's little lives. Cam surprised me with this video this morning:



The following is from my journal, July 19th 2011

Yesterday, the clinic asked me to take a pregnancy test to make sure the HCG Trigger shot was given correctly and that it was in my system. It was so weird to take a pregnancy test and know it would come up positive.

I've never seen that little pink line before! Hopefully in a couple of weeks we'll have a real one.

This morning at 6:30 we checked in for our egg retrieval. I was nervous that something would go wrong with my follicles or that some had ruptured or that my estrogen levels would continue to rise and we'd have to cancel the cycle or something, but it all went so smoothly. After this week, I was really looking forward to some medically induced sleep. It felt so good to just have a day to relax and not worry about anything.

We went into the exam room we were in for the last ultrasound. It was nice to be in a familiar place. It didn't seem so cold to me and definitely helped me relax. On the table were all the vials and tubes for the treatment. There were 24 of them. It felt good to know the doctor had high hopes for my body!

In all honesty, the hardest part of any medical procedure for me is getting the IV put in. Luckily, our anesthesiologist was an all star. I barely even felt the needle. I was really grateful I was allowed to keep my bracelet on. Cam got it for me for Mother's Day this past May. It says "Eventually" on it. I love it. It has been such a great source of strength to me. They had Cam kiss me and head out to the waiting room. I fell asleep about 10 seconds later.

When I woke up, the anesthesiologist walked me into the recovery room and told me that Cam should be in in a minute. I was grateful to have the chance to pray for him. The best part of my day by far, though, was when Cam came through the door to my recovery room. He gave me a kiss on the forehead and held my hand. The sweetest moments in marriage come when you are given the opportunity to conquer something together. It's moments like that recovery room conversation that make me so grateful for this trial. We talked for about 15 minutes and then our brilliant Dr. walked in.

"We were able to get 35 eggs."
*Jaws drop*
"You're kidding me!?"
"Not in the least. And we normally expect about 60% to fertilize, so hopefully that means 15-20 will make it to the next step."

We are floored. On the way home from the clinic,  Cam stopped to pick up my favorite breakfast from my favorite breakfast stop, Kneaders. They have some killer croissant sandwiches and smoothies. Yum! We got home and Cam helped me up the stairs to bed. He read me a chapter from Harry Potter and we cuddled up for an hour or two of deep sleep. The rest of today has been full of watching TV and eating food. What a glorious day to celebrate.

We couldn't be happier.

15 comments:

  1. Kristin! Beautiful post and video! I bawled like a baby! We are just so happy for you guys and your two sweet miracles!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a special anniversary. remembering sweet moments like this really help keep love a living-breathing part of marriage..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, made me cry! I appreciate how much you treasure motherhood, and how you pass that passion on to others, including me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i feel like i should have been warned before watching that video. ahhh tears!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful video! I was so emotional watching as I felt such a connection to so many similar events in my life. Thank you for sharing and thank you once again for reminding of what a miracle this ivf process truly is!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved every second of the movie! What a miracle for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gahh so many tears!! Love love love this. I still cant believe those little guys are finally here. And what a beautiful little surprise from Cam!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not even pregnant and that got me crying!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I watched it 10 times. :) What an amazing video and what cute little boys came out of all that waiting! Thanks for giving me hope!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Kristin,

    My name is Rachel and you and I don't know eachother directly, but our families have been friends through generations! My grandparents are Grant and Lynda Holdsworth and my dad is Jon Holdsworth. Our parents grew up together and my dad's close friend growing up was Rick! I hope that helps connect the dots for you... Anyhow, my Grandma suggested I search for your blog because over the last year, my husband and I have been facing the similar IVF mountain. I was struggeling to find any substantial information online that might help me prepare for this journey and I was so greatful to find your blog. I enjoy your honesty and greatly appreciate your positive outlook. I also have a blog: rmodrellrnisatmodsquad.blogspot.com. I am new to online "journaling" and it really pales in comparison to what you do on your blog, but I find in greatly therapeudic to document my journey (not to mention, keep a large extended family updated on our progress).

    While my experience has been somewhat different from yours, I feel that we are on the same playing field and I can find inspiration in knowing that happiness WILL come! The video that Cam made was so emotional for me! Congratulations on your sweet baby boys!

    Rachel (Holdsworth) Modrell

    ReplyDelete
  11. That was so beautiful. It gives me so much hope and encouragement. Thanks for sharing that with us. You guys are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bawled. Like. A. Baby. So beautiful. You four make a beautiful family. Can't wait to meet Nash and Gray when you get to Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a beautiful family! Congrats on how far you've all come Kristin. Truly inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love. So happy for you. So neat to have all of that documented.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It made me cry, too! The post made me cry, and then when I started that video... well, I was a mess.

    ReplyDelete

BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS